Monday, April 18, 2011

Today I saw...

Berms DSC_0450 by Mully410 * Images
Berms DSC_0450, a photo by Mully410 * Images on Flickr.
No award winning photographs made at the TCAAP WVA today. I did see some interesting things. In fact, I pretty much see something new and interesting every day I'm there. Today, I arrived to see an older couple already there. They are birders somewhat like myself and I've seen them at this spot 3 or 4 times in the last several years.

Just as we began talking, the northern harrier flew past. Since my camera is always ready, I pulled up and took aim...only to find out my lens cap was still on the Nikkor 300mm F4. Doh. This almost never happens. Honest.

It was cloudy with a cold wind so I had to manipulate the above photo a bit. Once I set a black control point, the colors came alive. Those "hills" are berms made by the US Army back in the day. They are at the far end of the old range where they test fired the ammo they manufactured on the site.  There is a deer in the middle left of the image and a tom turkey on the right side at the bottom of the berm.

The most interesting thing I saw was what I think was a juvenile bald eagle circling over the lake.  I was hoping it would dive into the lake.  It sure looked like it would but it didn't.  I suspect it was checking out the two common loons because once the eagle left, the loons popped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment