Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today I saw...

Osprey Hates Tree DSC_0581
Osprey Hates Tree DSC_0581
by Mully410 * Images

Today was another interesting evening at the TCAAP Wildlife Viewing Area.  It was cloudy and cold with a little bit of sleet to teach me a lesson.  I debated heading home early but it looked like the clouds would clear for an interesting sunset.  Fortunately, I stuck around.

One of the Osprey flew by and it took me second to get on target because I got a little tangled up with the rain cover I use with my camera rig.  I got on target just as the osprey dove on a tree and tore off a branch.  It carried it all the way to the nest and dropped it off for its mate.  If you click on the images above and below for a bigger version it will be easier to see the bits of dead tree debris in the air.

Osprey Hates Tree DSC_0582
Osprey Hates Tree DSC_582
by Mully410 * Images

Next up, I saw four loons.  I love the sounds loons make and these didn't disappoint.  Eventually, two of them flew off.  The others followed a few minutes later.

Loons DSC_0712
Loons
by Mully410 * Images

I also saw a tom turkey displaying for two hens.   These were kind of close to me but the barbed wire and the mullein obstructed my view.  I did post a super-cropped version on flickr but I'm not particularly proud of it.

Turkey Display DSC_0669
Turkey Display
by Mully410 * Images

All of today's shots were taken with my Nikon D7000 and the old Nikkor 300mm F4 lens on a Manfrotto monopod. 

No comments:

Post a Comment