Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Previously at the TCAAP WVA


Moving Islands
by Mully410 * Images

I didn't make it out the viewing area today so I'll begin a new feature for this blog:  Previously at the TCAAP WVA.   

I ran into a man and two boys at the viewing area last week.  The man commented that the water in Lake Marsden seemed like it was a lot higher than the previous week.  I asked why he thought that and he said it was because he could see more water in the lake.  So I explained.

Lake Marsden is a shallow lake filled with floating bogs.  These bogs look like cattail islands and they move around the lake.  During very windy days, I often see the islands moving around.  The above rudimentary time lapse is an example of this happening.  Pretty much every day I go there the islands are configured differently.   Sometimes there is very little water visible from the viewing area.  At other times, all the islands are piled up on the north side so it looks like a traditional lake.  I prefer to have all the islands in the north or west end of the lake so all the activity in the water is closer to me. 

I once watched a great blue heron fishing from one of the more tiny islands as it floated by.

Heron Boating DSC_6332
Heron Boating
by Mully410 * Images

No comments:

Post a Comment