Sunday, July 24, 2011

Today at the TCAAP WVA, I saw an Injured Bunny

Rabbit DSC_3010 by Mully410 * Images
Rabbit DSC_3010, a photo by Mully410 * Images on Flickr.
As I left for the evening, I saw this little bunny at the TCAAP Wildlife Viewing Area entrance. It appeared injured, ill or really tired. It let me approach without moving at all so I gently nudged it with my shoe. It moved a little bit but didn't run away.

About an hour earlier, I witnessed an older woman empty a live trap near where I found this guy. I've seen people do this on a number of occasions. I'm really not sure what people are thinking when they do this. "Oh hey, there's a public park, let me dump my trapped critters there." I've heard it's especially cruel to relocate squirrels. They are super territorial not to mention they store their winter food all over the place. When people relocate them, it's a death sentence. I suspect it's easier for a bunny to get settled in a new location but I haven't heard anything about that.

I don't know for sure if this little bunny was dropped off by that lady but it seems likely. This poor little guy couldn't get his feet under him when I poured a little water near. (I figured maybe it was in the trap all day and got a bit dehydrated.) It was pretty pathetic. I almost put it out of its misery but decided no. There are plenty of critters that will use this fuzzy bunny to feed their families.

I almost posted a photo of this woman's car and license plate but my evidence is only circumstantial. If I was on a jury, I would have reasonable doubt...but I'd probably bet money on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment