Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Today near the TCAAP WVA, I saw a Cygnet

Cygnet DSC_1650 by Mully410 * Images
Cygnet DSC_1650, a photo by Mully410 * Images on Flickr.
This is a shot of the cygnet that I watched from the TCAAP Wildlife Viewing Area most of the summer. About a month ago it left with it's family. Today, I found out that they moved about a half mile south to Sunfish Lake. I couldn't see them from any public areas so I was perplexed as to what happened to them.

Today, I was allowed to wander within the Arden Hills Training Site. My host said she saw the swan family in Sunfish lake so I started my journey there. This good news is this cygnet looks big and healthy. It was feeding while I watched and eventually ended up near shore and stretched it's wings for me.

The bad news is I saw a swan shaped pile of feathers in the cattails. I sure looks like a dead swan although I couldn't get a very good view of it. My host is going to canoe out there tomorrow to investigate. We suspect it might be the swan with the mandible problem.

I think is my favorite shot of the day. It isn't the sharpest pan of this duck but its sharp enough and the cygnet is in the frame.

Woody and Cyg DSC_1614

No comments:

Post a Comment